If you or someone you know is struggling, please ask for help. Seek medical attention immediately. Call the suicide prevention lifeline at (800) 273-TALK.
Hi, The Band!
You guys rock SO hard. I am unbelievably honored to be posting here today because today September 4th starts National Suicide Prevention Week.
Why is this important? you might ask.
Well, for me personally there are just too many damn reasons.
- I lost a dear life-long friend Dina to mental illness and suicide in December 2010, leaving behind a 15-year-old son. Her death rocked me to the core. Still does.
- A college friend Matt died by suicide in July of 2005 right before Hurricane Katrina. Damn, that was a bad year.
- I was suicidal myself in 2003. (Yes, I have mental illness.) But thankfully asked for and got the help I needed. Hooray for awesome doctors, therapy and medication!
- I lived through the attempted suicide of a very close friend in 1994. She jumped off of a six-story building. By the grace of the universe she survived, and is now a beautiful thriving wife and mother of 3. Thank you to the powers that be.
- My high school boyfriend's teenage cousin died by suicide. At the age of 16, I got to see the bullet holes in his ceiling and watch the aftermath.
Needless to say, I've got a pretty damned big passion for mental health. I blog about it. I'm fundraising for it. I try to raise awareness to remove the stigma of mental illness. I've even committed to dying my hair blue if I reach my fundraising goal for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention this week!
I am seriously Eye of the Tiger about suicide prevention.
And you know what? So is The Band.
Every single one of us, of YOU is here writing, reading, commenting and contributing because you're passionate about survival.
Am I right The Band?
We're passionate about fighting for ourselves and each other to beat disease, illness (mental and physical), abuse, neglect, addiction, all of it. This crap, these struggles we ALL face are huge contributors to the epidemic of suicide in our culture.
So I'm giving The Band a challenge this week.
Now is the time to change the legacy of suicide. Its time to band back together to support our loved ones who are struggling, and let them know they are beautiful, they are loved and they are not alone. Its time to #StopSuicide.
Are you on The Twitter?
You know, The Band is @BandBack2gether. If you don't already, go follow The Band right now. Then we want to try something. Let's get #StopSuicide trending for Suicide Prevention Week.
Here's the message to Tweet, Tweet and Retweet now through September 10 - World Suicide Prevention Day:
I'm talking to YOU. #youarebeautiful #youareloved #youareNOTalone #StopSuicide please RT
You never know who might see it, who might really NEED to see it at the very moment you are tweeting it. Let's use our power of social media for good. Lots and lots of good.
You just might remind someone of who they are and how much they are wanted.
You just might save a life.